Error with libiberty/strsignal.c when building GCC

Hi everyone,
    I'm having trouble building GCC 4.3.3 natively on a SUSE 8 box.
The machine in question is the master node of a rather dated cluster,
on which one of the users needed a fortran compiler with OpenMP. As
the cluster is running gcc 3.3.5, I decided to just compile gcc from
source like usual. The only configuration flag I provided was
--prefix; otherwise, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.. After
running 'make bootstrap,' though, make recieved the following error:
" gcc-4.3.3/libiberty/strsignal.c:553: error: conflicting types for `psignal' "
I couldn't find someone with a similar error while building GCC in the
mail archives nor through Google. I realize I'm probably making some
kind of stupid mistake, but I'm clueless as to why this is happening.
Has anyone seen this before, or does anyone have an idea of why the
build is tanking at this point?

Thanks a lot,
-Sean C.