Re: building non-shared dynamic binaries on x86-64 linux-elf

Mathieu Lacage <mathieu.lacage@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>
>> I would reverse the sense of this: non PIC shared libraries does work on
>> most processors (with some loss of efficiency), but not on x86_64
>> because it uses a small model by default. ÂIt might work if you use
>> -mcmodel=large, but I haven't tried this.
>
> It does, indeed appear to work: it merely triggers an ICE for FC10's
> (4.3.2) gcc with -O3 (-O0 works fine). gcc 4.4.0 works fine though.
>
> Shall I report a bug for 4.3.2 ? (i.e., will there be further releases
> of that compiler ?)

It is likely that there will be a 4.3.3 release.  However, even if you
file a bug report, I wouldn't count on anybody actually fixing it,
unless perhaps you also track down the change that fixed it in 4.4.0.  I
don't think that huge model support is high on anybody's priority list.

Ian