Re: GCC options for Intel Atom processors

Morgan WesstrÃm wrote:
-march=prescott -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer seems to be a general consensus
when googling but I'm unable to find the reasoning for it.
-march=core2 because the Atom is claimed to
be "merom ISA compliant" The -mfpmath=sse confuses me too since more googling claims that the SSE
instructions on the Atom use several times the number of clock cycles
they use on core2 or prescott
-march=prescott is the usual option for 32-bit SSE3 support, so seems a reasonable stop-gap. One would think that it implied -msse3. Even if SSE instructions are relatively slow, you might expect 387 to be even slower, so no reason to avoid sse. If you're into experimentation, you could try -march=pentium-m, for the best of sse2 and the best of 387, but no sse3. If you were able to bring up the referred patch page, didn't it shed any light?
I don't know why -march=core2 would be useful, except that it presumably enables you to use SSSE3 intrinsics, should you want them. Yes, the atom presumably supports the same instruction set as Core 2.
No one can make a blanket recommendation, certainly not without the familiarity you should have with your own code. -mtune=barcelona might even work sometimes.