Re: How do I get strarted with using GCC?

Shad wrote:

I need some basic pointers (no pun intended). I have been writing/compiling code using Borland and Micro$oft development packages under Windows and DOS for a long time but haven't done much for the past four years or so.

On DOS and Windows the "compiler" for instance in the Borland's C++Builder4 looks like :

G:\Ohjelmat\Borland\CBuilder4\Bin>bcc32
Borland C++ 5.4 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 1999 Inprise Corporation
Syntax is: BCC32 [ options ] file[s] * = default; -x- = turn switch x off
-3 * 80386 Instructions -4 80486 Instructions
-5 Pentium Instructions -6 Pentium Pro Instructions
-Ax Disable extensions -B Compile via assembly
-C Allow nested comments -Dxxx Define macro
-Exxx Alternate Assembler name -Hxxx Use pre-compiled headers
-Ixxx Include files directory -K Default char is unsigned
-Lxxx Libraries directory -M Generate link map
-N Check stack overflow -Ox Optimizations
-P Force C++ compile -R Produce browser info
-RT * Generate RTTI -S Produce assembly output
-Txxx Set assembler option -Uxxx Undefine macro
-Vx Virtual table control -X Suppress autodep. output
-aN Align on N bytes -b * Treat enums as integers
-c Compile only -d Merge duplicate strings
-exxx Executable file name -fxx Floating point options
-gN Stop after N warnings -iN Max. identifier length
-jN Stop after N errors -k * Standard stack frame
-lx Set linker option -nxxx Output file directory
-oxxx Object file name -p Pascal calls
-tWxxx Create Windows app
-u * Underscores on externs -v Source level debugging
-wxxx Warning control -xxxx Exception handling
-y Produce line number info -zxxx Set segment names

The user interface in GCC is quite the same...

> I am trying to get a handle (sts) on GCC and am overwhelmed by the manual.
> Is there a simple "howto" for just starting with GCC?

The key words for Google would be : "The GNU C Programming Tutorial" and
using these would lead to things like :

http://www.crasseux.com/books/ctut.pdf

Is there any kind of GUI package available for programming in it?

Your question could be interpreted as "Is there any GUI for C/C++ compilers on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD etc.?" As the BCC32 example shows, all the C/C++ compilers are quite alike and one has a free choice for the GUI or to forget them totally...

Things like Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/) have been used with
GCC and companies like CodeSourcery (http://www.codesourcery.com)
uses it as their chosen IDE/GUI for GCC...