How do I get strarted with using GCC?

Yo

I need some basic pointers (no pun intended). I have been writing/compiling code using Borland and Micro$oft development packages under Windows and DOS for a long time but haven't done much for the past four years or so. I am trying to get a handle (sts) on GCC and am overwhelmed by the manual. Is there a simple "howto" for just starting with GCC? Is there any kind of GUI package available for programming in it? Is there any package for developing GUIs for user interfaces with the fundamental program body?

I believe that once I get started I can ramp up the learning curve pretty rapidly -- I just haven't tried to start from scratch with any programming package in about 25 years and am simply overwhelmed by what I can find.

Thanx

Shad