Precompiled headers and templates

Have people found precompiled headers to make significant difference with template-heavy headers, esp. things like Boostified projects? I've been trying to look up details on what the pre-compilation entails, but I still don't have a good handle on this. I'm mainly wondering whether it speeds up anything for templates that are instantiated outside of the header (i.e. at the use site). I'm guessing not, since template instantiation can induce arbitrary computation. If I'm right, then do most folks try to include explicit instantiations in their precompiled headers?

I plan to experiment with this, but am curious to know what others have witnessed.
--
Yang Zhang
http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/