Re: Where did the warning go?

Hi everyone,

[Tom]> I think most long term developers really just want the warnings for
two things.  Things that are undefined behaviour, and things that are likely
a typo...

I don¹t mind keeping -Wall with the current meaning, and not deprecating it.

I, as a long term developer who has been developing for over 30 years, and
in C/C++ for over 20 years, using GCC since 2.95 came out, do wish that
there was a -Weverything flag that enabled all -W* toggle warnings.

Why?

Because I use GCC as a lint-like tool.

I like to be able to see what warnings my code generates, vet those warnings
and vet my code, then decide to disable the warning or fix my code.

I deeply appreciate that GCC has taken on incorporating (sensible) lint-like
functionality into the compiler itself, which uses -Wfoo toggles.  (I can
even appreciate that -Wall is "select popular warnings", and -Wextra is
"select additional less popular warnings".)

Right now, I have a command-line for GCC g++ that is very, very, very, very
long, because I enable the warnings I know about.  But I may have missed one
or two.  And more may come out with the next version of GCC that I am
unaware about.

I wish I had a -Weverything flag.

As long as I'm making wishes, I also wish warnings were emitted like this:
test.cpp:6: -Wunused warning: unused variable 'u'
...rather than...
test.cpp:6: warning: unused variable 'u'

Just my $0.02.

Sincerely,
--Eljay