g++ versions

I'm new to this list, so apologies if all this is done-and-dusted, but I'm
struggling to understand what the latest available version of gcc/g++ is
for Cygwin or MinGW.

The version of gcc that comes with Gygwin or MinGW download is 3.4.2
or 3.4.4, which is pretty old. I'm assuming these are latest available binaries
for these platforms?

Turning to source distributions the latest info for Cygwin suggests a build
attempt has been made for 4.3.1, but there are lots of failures. I can't
see anything for the MinGW platform.

Is this right? Is there really no recent version of gcc that compiles under
any windows platform?

Thanks, Rob.