RE: compiling gcc 4.3.2 on hpux 10.20: no target 'all'

Heh. I spent 5 years getting my undergrad in CS. Computers're the dumbest things I've met with the exception of incoming Freshmen CS majors ( ;-). Just joking, all you Freshmen out there!).

For what it's worth, I tried defining all three and it still didn't generate the gcc makefile (as you pointed out below).

> For pure curiosity I tried a cross-GCC for the 'hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20'
> target yesterday evening and got :
>
> [root@Dell gcc]# pwd
> /data1/home/src/gcc-4.3.2/build/gcc
> [root@Dell gcc]# ./xgcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Target: hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20
> Configured with: ../configure --build=i686-linux-gnu
> --host=i686-linux-gnu --target=hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20
> --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-objc-gc
> Thread model: single
> gcc version 4.3.2 (GCC)
>
> (the build stopped after 'gcc' when I had no target binutils, headers or
> libs for this target)
>
> which tells that this target name passed OK into 'gcc' and resulted
> producing GCC binaries there...
>
> Maybe you should check those "Prerequisites" for GCC installation:
> GNU make, working 'sh' like 'bash', working 'tar' (errors in unpacking

Someone else on another forum suggested the same thing: downloading the latest binutils, compiling them, and seeing what happens. In an effort to make as few assumptions as possible about the validity of any of the programs, I'm currently building the latest and greatest everything that will compile on this old B2000.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

> the GCC sources) etc. As a Linux-user it is easy to forget that not
> everyone has 'bash', 'GNU make', 'GNU tar' etc. And new enough versions
> for them....

Seriously.
Even more frustrating is that HP-UX 10.20 actually /has/ a lot of these programs, but they're all ancient and buggy; 10.20 apparently has some near-legendary bugs in it.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

--
Omar