Re: Where oh where can I find a version of gcc which WILL bootstrap?

joe@garveydesign.com writes:

> Hi, you'll find my details at http://www.JoeGarvey.com  I'm a 4th
> year mature student at Cork University, Ireland.  My project is to build a
> new front-end to gcc on Linux which requires a bootstrapping of gcc.  I've
> downloaded and tried to build several versions of gcc, 4.3.2 which had
> it's own numerous errors, and when that was given up on, then 3.1.1 and,
> 3.1 (as referenced by Arthur Griffith in his book GCC: The Complete
> Reference) but I get the problem "read-rtl.c:662:error: lvalue required as
> increment operand".

We can't help you building 4.3.2 if you don't tell us the problems.
Most people build it with minimal trouble if they follow the
installation instructions.  You may simplify matters if you try to
build the same version of gcc as the one which is already installed on
your system.

Your trouble with gcc 3.1 (which is of course very old) is that it
used extensions to the C language which are no longer supported by
modern versions of gcc.

> The academic year is progressing (50%+!), and my project is not.  Do you
> know of a sure-fix version which WILL bootstrap?  I would even consider
> bringing my
> netbook over to you there, what would you charge to effect an (gcc source
> bootstrap) installation you KNOW will work...?

There is no "there".  This is open source development done by
volunteers from all over the world.  There are many gcc users in
Ireland, perhaps you can find a local GNU/Linux users group.

I have to tell you that if you are stuck on these issues, you are
going to have real trouble completing your project.  These problems
are simple compared to the difficulties of implementing a new frontend
for gcc, as there is no serious documentation for that at all.

Ian