Re: GCC: limitation with the command line length

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 03:11:42PM +0100, Neatsoul wrote:
# Hello,
#
# First of all thanks for your answer.
#
# 1) I can't cut my command because in fact I have many hundred of
# "include" directories.

THIS is your problem. Everything else you describe is just symptoms.

You have a build that breaks down under its own weight. If it were
made of matter, it would produce a black hole. :-)

Far too many people are lazy and just name ALL source directories as -I
directories, when in fact only a handful would be sufficient to compile
any individual source file. So the best (and wise) answer to you is:
restructure your build to use only those -I args really needed for each
compilation. This has many benefits, from speeding up compilation
through less file system access, to less chances of header name clashes.

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/