failed canadian build

Hi, I am trying to perform a canadian build with

build = x86
host = arm
target = avr

I have the arm and avr cross compilers installed on the x86.

I got binutils to work with no issues by specifying --host and
--target to configure.  The binutils appear to run correctly on the
arm.

For gcc when configuring, it finds the binutils already installed in
prefix, and attempts to call the arm avr-as when compiling libgcc.
This doesn't work of course because the arm binary won't run on x86.

To hack around this issue, I used a different prefix for the canadian
configure of gcc.  Then it didn't find the arm binaries, and instead
found the x86 avr-as, and the compile completes with success, however,
the gcc binaries created to not run on the arm host.

When I try to run the x86 built avr-gcc on the arm I get:
avr-gcc: line 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected

Same error when running cc1.

When I run the same avr-gcc on my x86, it appears to work?!  I thought
it shouldn't run here because it is an arm binary.  When I look at the
file, it is in ELF format.  How is this possible?

Any hints to make this build work?

Thanks,
Sean