Re: Best way of compiling applications to run on older linux distros

Can't you just link statically? Then it's just a matter of being syscall compatible.

Many issues with linking statically. Product is too big, and is architected as seperate shared libraries, so can't link libstdc++ statically with each one.

Here's a tip, go grab yourself VMware or Sun's VM, then make a slew of VMs and install the distros you want in those. That way you don't need an actual box for each OS and you can build it natively. If what you are doing is professional and not just some hobby project you should just do it properly from the get-go.

The point is that I'm trying to work out what "properly" means. We do have a bunch of vmware boxes. That's how I know that it doesn't work when we build on our build machine and try and run it on Centos4.

Your implication is that "properly" means building a version for Centos4 on Centos4, a version for linux distro x on linux distro x etc etc. This isn't in any way obvious, and isn't how things work for Windows, or indeed Solaris, AIX, zSeries.