Different object code generated each time file is compiled

Hi,

We are build for a MIPS32 target using a GCC cross compiler, and we have two object files that are always different each time they are built with no changes to the source code. We have used the -E switch to generate pre-processor output and compared the pre-processor output from each run against each other.

They pre-processor output from each run is the same. So it appears for these two source files that the issue with the object code being generated differing comes from the compiler. It is the object files before linking that are different (as well as the resulting final binaries but we have tracked it back to the object files emitted by the compiler as the first point where the files differ.

It is only two source files that we see this difference with and it is always 4 bytes in each object file that is different.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

Note that the resulting code always seems to execute just fine. This would not be an issue except that we have a requirement to be able to validate that the code produced from a given revision of the source code always produces a binary identical executable, and this issue is causing some head scratching.

Thanks,
Burt