Re: GCC Binary CD Question

Porter, Doug wrote:
I'm a Systems Analyst & network administrator in a Windows environment and have almost no experience with Linux beyond the basic
Linux installation process.ï I'm trying to help a few circuit design
engineers in my company set up circuit simulation software on Intel
64-bit Redhat Linux ES version 5 , and this software requires a C
compiler to work efficiently.ï Neither I nor the design engineers
have experience with Linux.ï My apologies for my ignorance in these
matters, but is there a CD for the binary version of a GCC C compiler
that I could buy for this hardware & operating system?ï Figuring out
how to install a C compiler is likely going to take more time than I
can reasonably afford, but I'm trying to help out some very
frustrated users on a project I have no direct responsibility for and
am reluctant to leave them to flounder on their own.
Any advice or assistance you could provide would be both helpful and appreciated.

First off, you should contact your distro's support channel rather than here. I see you mentioned RedHat 5; if that is the distribution you have installed on the machine that is currently missing gcc, then "yum install gcc" should be able to fix that for you, if you have RHN set up. Otherwise you should grab your original install media and look for the gcc package. It is probably in <cd root>/RedHat/RPMS, and is likely named "gcc-4.1.1-52.el5-x86_64.rpm" or something similar. Note that you will need to be root to do this.

Even easier, if you can find the graphical package manager (it should be in the GUI menu somewhere, but as I never use it, I forget what it's called), you can look for 'Development Tools' and install gcc that way. You should NOT log in to the Desktop Environment as root; I believe the package manager can be run as any user and will prompt you for the root password at an appropriate point.

--
Matthew
We are Microsoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.