Re: GCC Binary CD Question

Doug,

You can identify if gcc is installed by running the following in a terminal:

    $ gcc --version

You should be able to install gcc (if it isn't already) using the following instructions:

    https://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Deployment_Guide/pt-pkg-management.html

You are also likely to be interested in the developer tools documentation at the bottom of this page:

    https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/#RHEL5.2

That should get you enough information to get started.  You may also have to install development libraries.

WARNING:  If neither you nor they have experience with with linux, building software is not always a trivial task.  Be prepared to read.

This is a dated howto, that may be a good start:

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/pdf/Software-Building-HOWTO.pdf

You'll find lots of other good material at:  www.tldp.org

Best regards,

Harvey