Re: Customizing uncaught exception messages

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Yang Zhang wrote:

Hi, is it possible to get more informative error messages for uncaught exceptions? For instance, I'm interested in getting Java-like tracebacks with file and line numbers. Currently what I see is far from that, e.g.:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
 what():  basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid

Is there any way to hook into the exception handling mechanisms and produce such a traceback? If the solution is platform-dependent, I am using GNU/Linux with gcc 4.2.3.

In cases where the exception is thrown by your own code, you may be able to use backtrace() and backtrace_symbols(), declared in execinfo.h, to capture the stack trace before unwinding. Then use addr2line (a command line utility included in binutils) to get the line numbers.