Re: strict aliasing: how to swap pointers

On Apr 30, 2008, at 4:55 , Andrew Haley wrote:
We have no way to know, since you didn't provide us with the source of
exchange(), and that's where the aliasing violation, if any, would
occur.

Oops! Sorry, I meant to. The simplest implementation is a swap using a temporary:

void* exchange(void** ptr, void* next) {
 void* old = *ptr;
 *ptr = next;
 return old;
}

However, the answer is almost certainly no.  I don't know why you're
trying to do something so simple in such a difficult way.  If you really
want to do this in standard portable C, the easiest way is a macro:

I have implementations of exchange() that either use a temporary, a compare-and-swap, a load-linked/store-conditional, or a mutex. There is some project-specific configuration to link against the appropriate implementation.