Re: GCC 4.3.0 Cross compiler Problems

Barry Van Hooser wrote:
> ENVIRONMENT:
> OpenSUSE 10.3  64BIT
> binutils compiled 2.18
>
> binutils for arm cross compiled 2.18
>
> Attempting to create a cross compiler for a ARM 9750
> And then later a native compiler for ARM 9750
>
> I have an older gcc compiler 3.4.4 under the toolchain /targets/LxNETES-3.2/
> this has linux uClibc 2.6.12 kernel
>
> /targets/LxNETES-3.2/bin>  arm-linux-uclibc-gcc --version
> arm-linux-uclibc-gcc (GCC) 3.4.4
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
>

> WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
> I need to make a native compiler for this system and thought if I
> could get the cross to work then it would be a good step.
>

> What would be the process to create a native compiler on this ARM
> system since there is no local compiler and configure seems to be
> looking for one.  Also on this topic when I make targer= arm-linux and
> host=arm-linux of course configure wanted to test the compiler and
> causes an error stating "if you meant cross compiler set with --host"
> DUH!!! did that no luck.
>
> Do anyone have a native compiler for an ARM?
>

> The following configure statement was under the ./gcc-4.3.0 directory
>
> configure --prefix=/opt/arm --target=arm-linux --enable-languages=c
> --disable-threads --disable-shared --disable-bootstrap
> --with-headers=/targets/LxNETES-3.2/linux/include/

Ouch!  Looks like you're configuring in the srcdir.  Don't do thaht.

What you're trying to so  do is called a "Canadian Cross" and it is
documented in several places.

You probably only want --enable-langauges=c, because that's all you'll
need to bootstrap the compiler.  Try it again, configure outside the
srcdir, and check every line of the initial output of configure, very
carefully.

Andrew.