Re: Integral conversions in C/C++

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

Nope. I multiplied a natural number by -1

Maybe that's what you wanted to do, but that's not what you did.

Which, again, is another example showing how far off todays computing world is from actual mathematics.

Hrm, when was the "read the user's mind" patch to GCC applied?
I must have missed it.

Very likely. As some of the other tree transformations that happened to somehow make it into the code base in the past which are usually there to make the compiler, erm dare I say, ``smarter''. Same league, only much simpler to implement.

If you don't like C, don't use C.

I have been making a living from it for years. And I do think that coding might actually make sense in the future. Given statements like yours, we're still decades away from that.

Anyway, this is now all completely off-topic for this list.  Go
find somewhere else to vent, please.

I am not venting. I am agitating for sanity/rationality. And no, this is actually a very GCC centric topic, as there is a GCC implementation for an architecture which I am working with as indicated by the multiplier example in my previous post.

Cheers, Christian