Re: Inline functions in C99

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net> wrote:
> "Paulo J. Matos" wrote:
>
>  > timemgm.c:37: warning: C99 inline functions are not supported; using GNU89
>  > timemgm.c:37: warning: to disable this warning use -fgnu89-inline or
>  > the gnu_inline function attribute
>  > timemgm.c:43: warning: C99 inline functions are not supported; using GNU89
>  > timemgm.c:52: warning: C99 inline functions are not supported; using GNU89
>  >
>  > What was the change between gcc version so that now I can't inline
>  > functions? Why is this? If I can't inline functions, won't this reduce
>  > the efficiency of my binary, or at least hinder my possibilities of
>  > optimizing it?
>
>  The warning is not saying what you think it is.  What it is telling you
>  is that the semantics of "inline" which that version of gcc supports do
>  not match the C99 semantics; they are the "gnu inline" semantics.  The
>  difference has to do with how "extern inline" works.  There is a summary
>  of the differences here:
>  <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-11/msg00006.html>
>
>  Note that in gcc 4.3 this has been rectified, i.e. the changes in that
>  message have been made.  So in 4.3, if you enable c99 mode (instead of
>  the default which is gnu89 mode) you do actually get the c99 semantics
>  of inline, which is a change from all past versions of gcc.  That is why
>  the warning was added to 4.2, in anticipation of the change coming in
>  the next version, so that people that use inline and c99 mode will get
>  some indication that something might break.

Oh, ok, thank you very much for the explanation. Now I get it why my
program fails to compile. It is due to the -Werror.

Thanks,

Paulo Matos

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm
PhD Student @ ECS
University of Southampton, UK
Sponsor ECS runners - Action against Hunger:
http://www.justgiving.com/ecsrunslikethewind