Re: const issues

Hi Jason,

your code isn't valid C. A global variable can only be initialized
with a compile-time constant, and a const variable isn't a
compile-time constant in C. Compare with the following program:

#include <stdlib.h>

const int a = 42;
const int b = a; // Error

int main()
{
   return 0;
}

See e.g. http://c-faq.com/ansi/constasconst.html

By contrast, in C++ a global const integral variable is a compile-time
constant, and you can use it as an initializer.

   Dario