Re: merging with binutils + some bootstrap questions

Hi all,

I belong to small community around 680x0 Atari computers based on
FreeMiNT OS. GCC 2.95 was ported to this OS years ago and now we
decided to port gcc 4.2.2. (there were also some unofficial attempts
with gcc 3.x and gcc 4.1.x).

The most of the work is probably done, one clever guy already did the
port, AFAIK even cooperated with binutils and gcc developers so it's
maybe known thing to you.

I'd like to ask some things since in this area I'm more user than a
developer and nobody in atari community seems to be 100% sure about
these:

- how to "merge" binutils and gcc in bootstrap process? There's just
slight note in building howto but I didn't find what exact directories
should I link/copy to gcc source tree? There are also some common
directories, i.e. "include" or "config", not speaking about configure
scripts in the top-level source tree

- when I'm doing bootstrap, there's stage1 compiled against installed
(for example gcc 2.95) compiler, right? Then there stage2 and stage3
which are compiled against already built compiler. I'd like to ask,
what version gets installed in "make install"? Probably that one from
stage3 but I'd like to be sure -- I start with gcc 2.95 installed and
I'd like to have gcc 4.2.2 (with some optimizations, see below)
compiled against gcc 4.2.2 and I don't know if it's necessary to build
gcc4 first (let's say with --disable-bootstrap, then install, then
recompile gcc4 with make boostrap)

- basic m68k-atari-mint-gcc is optimized with -m68000 -O2 flags. When
I want to change it and to have installed gcc, which is compiled
against let's say '-m68060 -O3', which flags should I change?
BOOT_CFLAGS or CFLAGS? (please note I care only about the final binary
to be -m68060)

If there are some docs about this topic, I'd happy to read them, if
not, I'd happy for any hint :)

Thanks and regards,
Miro Kropacek

--