Re: GCJ Version compatibility

On 11/1/07, David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com> wrote:
> NightStrike wrote:

> >> This is only true if you consider the 'latest release' to be the
> >> currently unreleased 4.3.
> >>
> >> The 1.5 features are available starting in the as yet unreleased version
> >> 4.3.
> >
> > Do you happen to know, then, what the java compatibility is with GCC
> > 4.2.2, the current stable release?
>
> More or less 1.4.
>
> With GCJ, you really have to try it and see if it will work for your
> specific requirements.  It is not tested with any compatibility
> testsuite, so we don't certify that it fully implements anything.

Will you do that in the future?  There are defined java
specifications, like with any other language.  I would expect some
sort of ability to say that "Version X meets the specifications for
Java Y."

For now, the only thing we really need from 1.5 is enumeration
support.  Other than that, 1.4 should work.