Re: gcc option -E

Lin George wrote:

> I have tried that in ListDef file (new generated after either of the two commands) and it contains several hundred lines of #define, typedef and some other definitions. Could anyone help to answer what is the function of the two commands? Differences between -dM and -dD?

The -E option enables preprocessing only.  Every option is documented in
the manual:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Option-Index.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Preprocessor-Options.html

As for why you'd want a file containing a list of all the #defines,
you'd have to look at the context of how it's used elsewhere in the
build system.  There's no way to know based only on what you've given.

Brian