Question On Endianness And Solaris Sparc Versus IA32 File Systems

Gentle People:

   Gents Sorry for what may be cinsidered an
off topic post but since the question involves
libc getc() I din not know where else to post
the question.

I have found an interesting Endinness issue.

  On both Solaris 8 Sparc and Solaris 8 IA32
machines when I read the same file sequentially
using getc() and I get different results in byte
ordering because of the Big Endian (Sparc) versus
Little Endian (Intel) file system data organization.

   Question is there any way to automatically
compensate for this with getc??? Or more obviously
do I just have to rewrite the software application
to compensate for this?

Thanks for the help
Thomas Dineen