Re: I need a help for SimpleScalar

naghmeh.karimi@yale.edu wrote:

I want to use alpha instruction set for simplescalar. I have done config-alpha
and it works but I want to compile also my c testcases to alpha binaries to use
it with sim-out order.
Ok, the simplescalar docs are telling:

"SimpleScalar/Alpha binaries must be built on Digitial Alpha OSF Unix (or
 with a suitable cross compiler).  Any Alpha OSF Unix compiler should
 work, however, the binaries must be statically linked.  To statically
 link a binary, add the "-static" flag to the link line of GNU GCC, or add
 "-non_shared" to the link line of the DEC compilers."

So let's hope you will understand what "producing binaries (or 'executables')"
means: compiling, assembling and then linking against the startups ('crt*.o) and
base C libraries ('libc', 'libm' etc.). The two first steps in "compiling" can be
made possible by producing the GNU binutils and the GNU C compiler. BUT
those "target libraries", here the "Alpha OSF Unix" ones must most probably
be taken from this target system... The 'simpletools-2v0.tgz' package (with
gcc-2.6.3) however seemed to include glibc-1.09, so maybe this could replace
those original Alpha OSF target libraries....
I tried install gcc 3.1 and binutils 2.12 but binutils fails because of this
error:
"coff-alpha.c:1455: error: invalid lvalue in assignment"

would you please tell me which version of binutils and gcc I should install to
be able to generate alpha binaries suitable for simplescalar and if they have
some bugs for installation is there any document or patch to remove the bugs?

I tried the binutils-2.14.90.0.8 and the gcc-3.3.6 sources for the 'alpha-dec-osf4' target.
The binutils build succeeded nicely but the GCC build stopped with :

/data1/home/src/gcc-3.3.6/build/gcc/xgcc -B/data1/home/src/gcc-3.3.6/build/gcc/ -B/usr/local/alpha-dec-osf4/bin/ -B/usr/local/alpha-dec-osf4/lib/ -isystem /usr/local/alpha-dec-osf4/include -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_COMPILE -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -isystem ./include -fPIC -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED -Dinhibit_libc -frandom-seed=gcc-crtfastmath -c \
-o crtfastmath.o ../../gcc/config/alpha/crtfastmath.c
../../gcc/config/alpha/crtfastmath.c:46: warning: no previous prototype for `_GLOBAL__I_.._.._gcc_config_alpha_crtfastmath.cKImJVk'
/tmp/cceu4x8y.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cceu4x8y.s:36: Fatal error: unhandled relocation type (null)

Maybe because I hadn't any OSF4 headers available.... Or there really is some problem in the GNU binutils/GCC support for 'alpha-dec-osf*'.

If your situation is quite the same, no Alpha/OSF stuff being available, then
even if building both binutils and only-GCC ("make all-gcc") would succeed,
there is still that question about the target C library, where on earth to get it :(