Fine tuning gcc build to machine specific properties

I have successfully built gcc v 4.2.1 on Cygwin on
Windows XP.  make -k check produces decent results for
all the languages I know, as well as for ada (which I
don't know but want to learn: fewer than 0.01% of the
tests fail unexpectedly.   The machine uses a dual
core Athlon 64 processor.

I tried passing something like -msse2 and
-march=athlon64 to configure, but configure rejected
these, claiming that there are no floags like these
for the configure script.  I found these flags in the
gcc documentation, so I am confused.  How do I tell
configure to build executables optimized for my
processor?  Or does that not work well for cygwin on
WXP on an AMD Athlon 64 X 2?

Thanks

Ted