Anyone knows how to "undergrade" gcc ?? -- non expert user

I have a fresh Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty installation which use by default 4.1.2
Version. The main reason is that I cannot create "library.a" when using gcc
4.1.2. However, my advisor pointed that I need to use 3.3 version, which
works properly. So I decided to follow the official manual: build from a
"gcc_temp_directory" (outside   source code), however, it fails at the
./configure step. I'll  appreciate any kind of help . I can post any log
you'll need for guess whether my settings are wrong or my dependencies are
not solved, etc...I'n not sure if this post should be placed here , but I
have no way to solve my problem.

Cheers / Frank , espasapalau at gmail dot com