error no such file or directory B

I am new at programming in assembler  (platform linux   SUSE 10.2)
I have a main routine in C that call ASM
I compile the C as   gcc -c   caller.c
I compile the asm as   nasm -f aout   callee.c
I link as  ld caller.o callee.o -o callx.out

There are  no errors , no warnings.  I do get a non zero length callx.out

trouble is that the command ./callx.out returns  error:no such file or
directory.

When I compile/link/execute  only c  or only assembler everything if fine.
please help.