Compiling GCC using existing binutils

Hi all,

For a while now I have been working on a project that uses a patched GCC
in order to perform source analysis of C++ exceptions (
http://edoc.sourceforge.net/ ). I am about to create the next release
but have come across a problem using the newly compiled GCC on Fedora 7.

Should it be possible to build GCC from source and not have to rebuild
binutils from source also?

I have a problem when using a newly built GCC (On a Fedora 7 Linux
system) to compile a program that makes use of libbfd. Upon linking I get:

undefined reference to: 'unlink_if_ordinary'

I assume this is because the new GCC i just built (4.0.1) creates a
version of libiberty which does not include 'unlink_if_ordinary', where
the existing version of GCC has libiberty which does define this symbol
and this existing GCC was the one that was used to build the binutils
that is being used.

Where:
Existing GCC (Whatever is already installed):
New GCC (Special patched version of): 4.0.1

The usual solution is to rebuild binutils with the new GCC (4.0.1) and
install it alongside the new GCC in its special prefix. This will then
create a binutils using the 4.0.1 libiberty which should not have these
problems.

Is it possible to avoid having to build a new version of binutils using
the GCC just installed by somehow configuring the new GCC to make use of
the existing libiberty from the old GCC? Or is that just going to cause
all sorts of possible problems?

Thanks,
Brendon.