Re: Odd g++ compiling

benjamin schrieb:
I have encountered a strange performance while compiling. The problem
is; when I change some <PARAMETER> in my <PROGRAM> and recompile it via:

g++ <PROGRAM> -o <OUTPUT>

and run it:

./<OUTPUT>

I get the <Segmentation fault> error massage. OK, but when I recompile
it once again without changing anything:

g++ <PROGRAM> -o <OUTPUT>

and run it:

./<OUTPUT>

, the program seems working perfectly well. This is the case only if
program is exactly <PROGRAM>, I did not noticed such a behaviour
before.

Hi Benjamin,

1) Did you compare the output of the two g++ runs? Are there, besides time stamps, any differences?

2) Did you try to compile and run on a different machine?

I am asking all this, as in my experience such "mystical" run-time behaviour (that seems to depend on moon phase, tide, number of executions and so on) is a strong indication for a transient error (hardware problem). So I'd suggest to check this first, testing on a different machine is a simple way to get some evidence.

Daniel