linking internal executible functions: "undefined reference to" ???

I'm pretty much building my own executibles/libraries for the first time with
gcc. I had no problems with a libtools build, but now I'm trying to build an
executible and during linking I see a bajillion lines that say "undefined
reference to."  All of these are referring to symbols which are internal to
the executible's objects files. I'm inclined to say they may all be inlined
functions, or perhaps more specificly inlined/template functions.

I've used much of the same code files when building the libtools project,
and my compile options are pretty much identical. So I'm confused why its
not taking for the executible build.

michael