Re: Help configuring gcc

Luke Dickens wrote:

> Now I understand what this is telling me. It is telling me that there is
> no binary  file called gcc or cc which can be used, because the path
> doesn't point towards any folder that contains such a binary. But the
> reason I am doing all this is to get a gcc compiler. It is all very
> confusing and I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on the issue. I
> have looked for a suitable gcc file under mingw32 but this didn't seem
> to come with one.

You're making this much harder than it needs to be.  Just download the
gcc packages from the mingw site.  This is a requirement whether or not
you want to try to build gcc from source, because a working C compiler
is a prerequisite for building gcc.  And you do *not* want to try to
build gcc from source based on your experience level.  It is not all
that simple, and using a stock gcc on MinGW has its own problems, i.e.
use the releases provided by the MinGW project as they fix bugs not
fixed in the FSF gcc.

If you have more questions about using gcc with MinGW then post on the
MinGW list.  You'll get much better help there.  This list is
appropriate for trying to build gcc from source, but again I caution you
that that is the last thing you want to try if you're already struggling
and just want a working C compiler.

Brian