RE: i686-gcc vs i586-Suse Linux

 I think what the poster means is

"If the  Linux kernel, and possibly some other applications provided by a Gnu/Linux distribution provider(Suse),  have been configured and built with 'i586' options, should there be any problems with using a gcc configured and built with 'i686' options, or the programs built using that compiler?"

My limited knowledge says there should not be a problem, just because the _kernel_ is set not to use MMX instructions doesn't mean a compiled program cannot do so, AFAIK ,  if this is not the case I'd like to know too!  I have built my own GCC using such options and have built my own applications using processor-specific options using the rsulting GCC, for a number of GCC versions since 3 up to and including 4.2 ,   on a system in which virtually everything else is stock SUSE 10.0 or previously RedHat 7.2, and so far I have not encountered any problems.

Disclaimer, I am not part of the gcc development team and my advice is worth what you paid for it, is not covered by a warranty and is not an official confirmation of anything ;-6