chosing librarie used by gcc and ld in building

hi
I'm sorry to disturb you for that problem which may be a beginner pb,
but i have read lot of doc, and i still dont understand:
trying to build the kernel menuconfig program, I saw the message that
there is lacking symbols , but i have installed the good library in
/usr/lib and it still doesn't find the good symbols in the library, so
i think we should add the library in the library checked by gcc when
linking a program, but i don't find in any doc, where to add it?

can you help me, thank you.