Re: add gcc / g++ 2.96 to Fedora core 6

PoWah Wong wrote:

> However, I looked at the gcc download sites and do not find gcc 2.96.

That's because the FSF never released such a version.
<http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html>

> I find only gcc-g++-2.95.3.tar.gz and gcc-g++-3.0.tar.gz.

If you want binary compatibility with the compiler supplied in old
Redhat distributions, you should compile that very same compiler from
the SRPMs of that distro.  Redhat shipped a heavily patched/forked gcc
during that timeframe, and it's unlikely that something you'd build from
a FSF release would be completely compatible.

Brian