-ffuntion-sections doesn't work

Hello,

I'm using -ffunction-sections flag in order to separate each program's
function in a different section. When I check the executable file with
objdump command, functions are placed in  the .text section as a normal
compilation without -ffunction-sections flag. Is there any requirement to
use this flag?

Thanks!