gfortran installation problems

Hi.
 Please CC Yves Nievergelt <YNievergelt@mail.ewu.edu>  on reply.

The "gfortran" command gives the following error:

(program: "simple.f" does nothing: PROGRAM XYZ STOP END):

Command line:
$ /usr/local/bin/gfortran ~/Fprograms/simple.f

Error message that I get:
        /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lSystemStubs
        collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I get the same error message from two different installations:
an installation from   gfortran-macosx.dmg  by the command
    >      sudo tar -xvzf gfortran-bin.tar.gz -C /
and an installation from gfortranCompleteInstaller.mpkg
(which puts another version (copy) of  gfortran  in another directory:
 /usr/local/gfortran/bin/gfortran  but gives the same error message).

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated:
I have now tried to install and run gfortran for several years.
On every try, something goes wrong.
I know some UNIX, but evidently not enough.
Perhaps I'm too dumb to do this kind of thing.
If you think so, just let me know, and I'll give up.

In any event, thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,

Yves.

Did you try
gfortran ~/Fprograms/cbrtest.f
?
Dima.

On 2/20/07, Yves Nievergelt <YNievergelt@mail.ewu.edu> wrote:
To whom it may concern:

After apparently successfully installing gfortran-macosx.dmg
and after restarting the computer,
attempts at compiling fortran code from the command line

gcc ~/Fprograms/cbrtest.f

cause the following error message:

gcc: /Users/faculty/Fprograms/cbrtest.f: Fortran compiler not installed on this system

-- Yves Nievergelt, Ph.D. Professor of Mathematics Department of Mathematics Eastern Washington University 216 Kingston Hall Cheney, Washington 99004-2418 USA

email ynievergelt@ewu.edu
voice (509) 359-4259
FAX (509) 359-4700