Re: g++ compile time calculations

Wesley Smith schrieb:
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how to do some compile time C++ template
programming.  I have something working that calculates the length of a
string, but I'm not sure how to evaluate what is actually being done
at compile time and what is being done at run time.  Here's is my
code:

template <class T>
class StringLength
{
public:
static int eval(T* a)
{ return ((*a) == '\0') ? 0 : (StringLength<T>::eval(a+1) + 1); }
};

template <class T>
inline int stringlength(T* a) { return StringLength<T>::eval(a); }

//in main somewhere
cout << stringlength<>("This is a string") << endl;

My GCC version is gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341). I'm on OSX 10.4.8 on a PPC. Basically, I'm trying to find out what compiler output I can look at or somehow query things at runtime to find out what did and didn't compile down.

I suggest taking a close look at the generate assembler code, e.g. using objdump:

objdump -D --demangle --reloc objfile.o | less

However, without taking a close look at the generated code, I am quite sure that there isn't much that is compiled down. Your template isn't actually a "template meta program" - it does not use recursive instantiation of templates, but just recursive function calls:

         static int eval(T* a)
                 {    return ((*a) == '\0') ? 0 :
(StringLength<T>::eval(a+1) + 1);  }

This is always the same StringLength::eval() method that is recursively invoked at *runtime*.

Daniel