Re: How to choose the right libstdc++.so with soft-float?

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 11:12 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Paul Smith writes:
>  >
>  > However, libstdc++ is handled differently: the compiler build generates
>  > both a lib/libstdc++.so and also a lib/soft-float/libstdc++.so (same
>  > names, different directories).  On my target filesystem there is only
>  > one: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so and investigation shows this to be the fp
>  > version, not the soft-float version.
>
> This is very odd.  Are you saying that when you do "make install" the
> soft-float versions of the libraries aren't copied into $PREFIX at
> all?  If so, this is a bug.

Thanks for the response Andrew!

Well, the library not being installed is something easily resolved.

The real question is, WHERE is it supposed to be installed, and how is
it supposed to work?

For libstdc++, unlike libgcc_s, the filenames for the soft- and
hard-float versions are the same so (again unlike libgcc_s) they
obviously have to be installed into different directories if both are
present on the system at the same time (which is what we want, it seems
to me).

Even more concerning, the soname for the soft- and hard-float versions
of libstdc++ is the same (again, unlike libgcc_s), so even if both
versions WERE installed (and both paths were configured via ldconfig or
whatever) I don't see how the runtime linker could choose the right one!

Either there's some deeper magic here that I'm unfamiliar with (quite
likely!), or it's just not possible to have both the soft- and
hard-float versions of libstdc++ available (and usable) on the same
system at the same time (and again, unlike libgcc_s where this is quite
possible and works fine).

If someone can explain how this is supposed to work (or point me to the
relevant docs etc.) then I'll be happy to investigate the simpler
question of why "make install" is not doing the right thing... once I
understand what "the right thing" is :)

Cheers!