Help with g++ (Newbie)

Hi,

I am a total newbie to g++. I have a c++ project developed using the vc++
IDE which I need to build using g++. I am using Arm Toolchain on win xp for
this. The c++ project was to develop a static library. So I think i need to
generate an archive file using the 'ar' tool.

I have done the following:
1) I have seperated all the header and source files from the vc project
2) I was able to compile all the cpp files using g++. There were no errors.
3) I generated the archive file using the 'ar' tool. The archive file also
got generated.
4) I wrote a main.cpp file in which I will use the archive file

Problems I am having:
1) I tried to build the main.cpp file but it gave errors in the header file
included in main.cpp. This header file contains the functions that I have
exposed to access the methods in the archive file. So I tried to compile(??)
the some other header file and it gave me errors too.
2) The errors I am getting are that it is not able to find the standard
include files like "math.h", <vector> etc.

My doubts are:
1) The header file that I have exposed is included in the archive file
generated. So how did the archive get compiled without any errors?
2) Why is gcc not able to access the standard include files when compiling
header seperately but is able to access it when compiling cpp files?
2) What does it mean when I do the following: "g++ somefile.h".   Am I
compiling a header file???
3) Also how do I generate an exe instead of an .out file?