Re: libgcc_s : What links to it and why?

Jeff Blaine <jblaine@mitre.org> writes:

> -- If I build my app (Subversion, although there are others)
>     using:
>
>         --with-prefix=/usr/rcf
>
>     and
>
>         LDFLAGS="-L/usr/rcf/lib -R/usr/rcf/lib"
>
>     /usr/rcf/lib/libgcc_s.so gets linked (somewhere) even
>     though I am using /afs/rcf/lang/gcc/current/bin/gcc which
>     is built with --disable-shared and has only a libgcc.a of
>     its own.
>
>     This is true no matter what arguments I pass to the linker.
>
>     I say "linked" above because I have confirmed that no other
>     shared library being used by my Subversion build has its
>     own reference to libgcc_s.so.  The build jams it in there
>     somewhere.

You can find out where it is coming from by doing your own transitive
search using "objdump -p FILE | grep NEEDED".  For each NEEDED entry,
use ldd to find out precisely which shared library is included.  Then
look at the NEEDED entries in that shared library.  You will
eventually find the one which has a NEEDED entry for libgcc_s.so.

Ian