wondering if you could help - suse 9.3 problem!

Hi, I'm a new to this game, was trying to install a fortran compiler on my Suse
9.3 system, when I got this error message

ifort: error: option '-cxxlib-gcc' not supported with current installed GCC

assume this means my GCC compiler is out of date, had a look and I'm running
3.3.5-5.1 GCC and GC++C

tried to look at the manual pages on your website but can only see 3.3.6 stuff,
just was hoping someone might be able to tell me what I need to do to update,
what will work etc, because there's some scary looking stuff on the site, and
like I said, I'm a bit(a lot) out of my depth!

thanks
Tally :)