Re: regarding privilege levels of pentium 4

ArtÅras Moskvinas wrote:
--- Sven Eschenberg <eschenb@cs.uni-frankfurt.de>
wrote:

The OS I am using : Linux.
The language in which the program is written : C(I am
attaching the program)
The compiler : gcc 3.2.3
Processor : Pentium 4
I know password for root login. I logged in as root
and compiled my program. When compiled no errors were
reported. But when I run the program it simply shows
"Segmentation fault".

My goal is to measure performance parameters (for
example the number of branch instructions that were
mispredicted), on Pentium 4, using "RDMSR" and "WRMSR"
instructions. Also I want to disble interrupts while
running my program.
The problem is that those instructions can be run only
at privilege level zero.
You should consider using Kernel mode linux (kernel recompilation
needed) or write kernel module:
kernel mode linux:
http://web.yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~tosh/kml/

Also, consider whether you need to re-invent the wheel, when both open and closed source profilers exist for this purpose.