Re: java runtime

Dima Sorkin wrote:
Hi.
On 9/15/06, Tim Prince  wrote:
Dima Sorkin wrote:
> I have an application that requires java runtime (at Linux Fedora).
> Does some come with GCJ ? (I want to try, before installing the Sun's one).
gcj has a full set of linkable libraries. If the application is built to
depend on Sun or IBM JRE, I suppose it would have to be rebuilt to use
gcj.
Ok, with GCJ I can build an executable, not to run an applet, right ?

Dima.

With GCJ, you can compile Java -> Applications <- (with a main() method) to an executable. You can't compile an applet to an application, because you need some sort of appletviewer for an applet. But if you've already an applet, then it won't be hard to change it to an AWT application...

Aditionally you can run bytecode (for example compiled with a sun jdk 1.5) with gij.

You might want to use a GUI frontend for GCJ: http://javaCompiler.sf.net