static libgcc_s.a?

Hi,

Can libgcc_s.so be made static, resulting in a libgcc_s.a?

The reason I'm asking this is that on Solaris, libgcc_s.so can't be made available using LD_LIBRARY_PATH (I haven't tested LD_PRELOAD). In our environment this means that if I compile a program on an NFS client that has gcc at /opt/local/gcc/4.1.1/bin/gcc, it automatically means I need to copy over /opt/local/gcc/4.1.1/lib/libgcc_s.so to any host that isn't an NFS client - like one of our servers.

This pollutes the directory structure on our servers and it's our major reason for preferring Sun Studio over gcc. Can we fix this on our side by compiling libgcc_s statically?

thanks,
maarten