Re: Simple ARM code generation

Aaah, now I understand.  I was trying to work it out with the order of the registers on the
stack in reverse.  So at the end, the original fp gets loaded back into fp, the original sp
gets loaded back into sp (after a trip through ip) and the original lr gets loaded into pc,
which triggers the procedure return.

> > Also, this: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ARM/Programmer%27s_Model#Program_Cou
> > nter claims that r15/pc can't always be manipulated like any other register.
> >  Is that correct?  If so, is using ldmia into r15/pc always ok?
> >

> R15 is the program counter, and it's true that you can't treat it entirely
> like a normal register, but you can load and store its value; you can copy
> it to other registers; and you can use it in some simple addressing
> operations (either to generate an address value in a register, or directly
> in a pc-relative load instruction).  For example, it's perfectly
> acceptable to write

>     ldr    r0, [pc, #32]

> > > Let me take a guess.  You are using something like an ARM920 (or an ARM7TDM
> > I) device, and you are calling
> > > this function from Thumb code.  If so, then you need to compile your functi
> > on with -mthumb-interwork, then it
> > > will generate a return sequence that switches correctly back to Thumb.
> >
> > You're correct that it's an ARM7TDMI device.  The code which calls my code is
> >  in firmware, so I'm not entirely sure whether it's Thumb or not...  If you'r
> > e right, then presumably the calling procedure puts the appropriate flag in t
> > he LSB of r14/lr and expects the procedure being called to use bx and not ldm
> > ia to return.  Is it the case, then, that the switch to or from Thumb mode ca
> > n't be done by modifying pc with ldmia?  If so, that would certainly explain
> > the crash.  I'll try that as soon as I get the chance.

> The ARM7TDMI is an implementation of version 4T of the ARM architecture,
> often termed ARMv4T.  This was the first revision of the architecture to
> support Thumb and support for compiling your application as a mixture of
> both ARM and Thumb code (termed interworking) was fairly limited: the only
> way you could switch states was by using the BX instruction.  The next
> revision of the architecture added support for state switching to ldr and
> ldm instructions as well, which makes interworking much more efficient.
> If you compile your original example with the same code compiled with
> -mthumb-interwork you'll probably see a return sequence something like

>    24:   e24bd00c        sub     sp, fp, #12     ; 0xc
>    28:   e89da800        ldmia   sp, {fp, sp, lr}
>    2c:   e12fff1e        bx      lr

> Anyway, I've probably bamboozled you with more than enough information by
> now, so I'd better stop.  Hope the above helps,

Actually, that was perfect, I feel much more solid on this now.  Thanks a million!

The -mthumb-interworking flag seems to be the magic bullet; my code now works correctly
and doesn't crash the device.  The crux is definitely the use of ldmia vs. bx instructions to
perform procedure returns, but I think there's something to it besides setting the
Thumb/ARM mode flag.  If that were the only issue, only the final return out of my code and back to firmware would have to use bx, right?  But there are indications that I need *all* procedure returns to use bx.  I haven't checked this very carefully yet, but I suspect there may be more to the issue...  I may have to look into it more systematically at some point.

Anyways, you've definitely fixed my immediate problem.  Once again, many thanks!

- Steve