Re: gcc/ld init section and libraries

I fixed the problem now I think:
I had an init.c that held the initialization code init. Which wouldnt have been included in the link as the init function and section hook wasnt being referenced.

When I put the init function in a file with functions that will be used, the init function gets included.

Easy now that I know :)

John Love-Jensen writes:

Hi John,

The linker only pulls out .o from the .a that fulfill currently known
(single pass) missing symbols.

The linker also takes any .o in its entirety, it doesn't check for missing
symbols.

With the GNU linker, there is the -whole-archive switch. So if you want
libfoo.a wholesale, but libbar.a and libquux.a to only be used to fulfill
missing symbols, do something like this:

gcc -o myapp alpha.c beta.c gamma.o delta.o -L. -Wl,-whole-archive -lfoo
-Wl,-no-whole-archive -lbar -lquux

Because the linker perfoms a single pass for resolution of missing symbols
in libraries (.so, or .a), order is very important. And if you had an
interdependency (ick ick! avoid avoid!) between, say, bar and quux, you may
need to do something distasteful like -lbar -lquux -lbar.

HTH,
--Eljay