gcc >= 4 not catching exceptions on solaris sparc

We are currently building our code with gcc 3.4.3 and I would like to upgrade to gcc 4.0.3.

I have built gcc 4.0.3 on solaris x86 and linux, and our code builds and runs without any problem.

However on solaris sparc one of our code generators doesn't work properly with the gcc 4.0.3 that I have built. It seems that the main() function will not catch any exceptions. We are currently catching stl::string, but I've tried throwing an integer and catching ..., and that doesn't work either. We aren't using any special command line options for visibility, etc.

I've also tested gcc 4.1.1 and got the same result.

Interestingly when I built gcc 4.0.3 for solaris sparc with the --disable-shared option and then built our code it works correctly.

Does anyone know why this might be and is there a solution available?

Thanks for your help.

-Matthew Tepel